Friday, July 11, 2008

Small Fortunes and Talented Artists

'Kay, so the car's gonna cost us $500 smackaroos. So I said something about it last night, prompting Sarah to say "is that a lot of money?"

"Yes, it is. It's quite a bit."
"Yeah, but is it ALL your money?"
"No, but it's a lot of money right now."
"Yeah, but mom, is it ALL you HAVE?"

There was the kicker. In the grand scheme of things, unwelcome though it may be, the guy didn't say "a grand", the guy didn't say "it's dead".

Kids are great at perspective. Bless her giant big perspective-giving heart.

Item two for your consideration this day:

So... giving this blogging thing some thought.

I realize that I miss writing. I am good at it and I love it. I have a 2/3 written manuscript somewhere (psst - don't tell Chris it's on DATA). It's a good story I think, with lots of twists and turns (interestingly, Dee, it goes back and forth in time, this before I ever read Outlander!). I think I need to make time to work on it. But when??? I can't even make time to do some much needed cardio, let alone sit and WRITE. Heck, I don't feel like I have time to even sit and think some days.

Mama needs a laptop.

Anyway, me aside for a moment. A lot of people I know are talented. Take Miyuki. Ever seen this:

http://baikautsugi.livejournal.com/


That is one talented artist there! And on this wonderful page she laments lack of time for honing her craft. It's true. There is lack of time. How is that? Why is that?

We gotta make time, peeps. Life is too short. We've known too many artists who have had all their time to practice their craft wrested from them too early. I take for granted my talent for writing, and I waste it daily. On living life.

But is it living life, or going through the paces? And is there a difference if you do it intentionally and don't just plow through it? (Though some days are plow days, and some days you have time to notice that your little one now says CARRRR and not cah.)

What to do?
What to do?

Any ideas, other talented peeps?

Am I the only one who seems surrounded by extremely expressive people? Look at Brad and Diane's pictures:
That ain't nothin'! If you go over to the side of my blog there, you'll see EastCoastARama is on of my faves. Click on it and see how even capturing a group hug becomes artistic expression!!

My peeps is talented.

Cheers to the talent. And hope that time can be found to be creative!



k

1 comment:

Miyuki Mouse said...

Ahh, kids say the darndest things, eh?

Thanks for the props :) That reminds me, I need to resurrect that thing. I haven't posted in a while since I found I was constantly whining about the same issues. Maybe come fall...