Friday, August 29, 2008

What it means to find high school.....


Wow.

I am in awe today.

So....Kayla is going away to school tomorrow. That in itself is one thing. Wasn't Kayla just a small girl? Wasn't she just the little kid who came to the cottage with us? Afraid of a rain storm in the car? Wasn't she just the toddler who wanted to sleep with me because she was cold?

But now, my eldest niece is off. I'm feelin' it. Not like her parents and sister I'm sure, but I am.

So I thought it was time to join facebook so I could keep in touch with her. So I did it.

And then I kind of got that glassy-eyed look like a kid in a candy store. WOW! I could find Jen Lowery, I bet. AND THEN I DID!!! I could find others maybe. I tried. Found Byron - wow!. Then others found me somehow. Then Lea joined up and before you could be sent to the Vice Principal's office (that would be Lea, for readers who don't know that. It's meant to be a joke), SHE has found a page that Karen C created (who else but our fearless co-leader?) for AISP.

Freaken WOW.

I have been to my own private high school reunion.

And it made me think of John Wilson! Isn't that guy Mayor yet? He'd likely do a better job!

What a trip. The only thing left is to know whether or not the John Walker I emailed yesterday is in fact the Johnny Walker I was a child with. If it is, my mind is OFFICIALLY blown.
All this because Kayla's off to Nipissing. I shoulda done it months ago.

Thanks, Kayla!

3 comments:

Gimped said...

Ya I had an Ah Ha moment when I first signed up for Facebook. I was very aprehensive to sign up at all: I didn't want to become one of those ppl who got sucked into the addiction and couldn't break free of it. But I, too, eventually caved thx to peer pressure (I thought peer pressure was a think of the past after high school?)

I've been able to find people from middle school that I've lost touch with over the years. It's a great way to say "hey, how ya been?" when you don't have a phone number or email address to find someone. One of my closest friends from middle school has been uber hard to track down, so I actually found her BROTHER on FB and managed to catch up with him. Turns out she's not on FB … or she has her security set so high that I can't find her :) Minka, where are you?!? :)

I wonder what the next social networking replacement will be, or if social networking will continue to grow in popularity … Will we all still be addicted to Facebook 'til we're old and grey? If so, at least we can all save on stamps :)

Sonhadora said...

Facebook can become so addictive so easily! I thinks its a great thing! It has made the world a smaller place, and family and friends overseas can see my pictures and keep in contact in a much cheaper way!

Its also very addictive when you start finding ppl you haven't seen in 10 years from school and see what they have been to.

YAY to Facebook!

GasbarNut said...

True - when Trina went home to Newfoundland this summer, she spent hardly any time doing the traditional "catching up" because it's already been done by being in touch with Facebook. We'll probably find that it becomes easier for us to stay in touch with Denmark once we come home, because Olaf and I are friends on Facebook. Now to get Craig on board....