Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Editorial to All Toronto Cyclists

I know I cannot be considered in any way a professional or serious cyclist. I don't have the clothes or the gear, the water bottle holder or anything at all resembling "decked out" (although, I do have a pretty cool Matterhorn Mountain Bike, a very cool lock, and a pretty decent bell).

But I am riding to work these days. Well for one thing it's a great work out (OH MY QUADS) and for another our second car just died and we haven't yet taken the plunge to buy a new one.

So this riding business is new. Real new. Wasn't much into riding MAJOR thoroughfares as a rider when I would go for after work rides in the park. Stayed to side streets mostly, and the park trails. Wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere, so the route wasn't so key.

But now, as my form of transportation, the route is important, as is the time it takes to get there and back. And let me tell you, some of the west Toronto roadways are CRAP! Sure, who cares about the pot holes at the side of the road? No one is at the side of the road. YES WE ARE! Hellll-ooooo, it's us cyclists at the side of the road! Trying to avoid being hit by that idiot making a right turn or that truck coming within inches of my handlebar!

Cyclists of Toronto, I am VERY sorry! I am sorry if I was ever disrespectful to you as a driver. I am sorry that you don't have nice smooth roadsides in which to ride. I am sorry that sometimes you don't get seen. Or heard. Or listened to when you make your pleas.

There are bike laws here - serious ones. And one of the infractions is driving on the sidewalk. Well, come and get me Metro Police, because I am NOT riding on the road on Evan's Avenue EVER AGAIN. Tonight the trucks were especially rude, and the potholes especially jarring. My head felt ever so bobble-ish. I actually had to stand and hop several in a row. I feared my bike would fall apart in the middle of the road from the absorption of it. And I have GOOD shocks!

So see me on Evan's Ave sidewalks - which I don't feel that badly about because it is an industrial area and not too many pedestrians. If an officer were to pull me over, I would show the lovely constable the REASON I will choose to use the sidewalk in this one spot.

It's not all bad though. Some drivers are downright decent (thank you, Bell Canada guy in the van!) and other cyclists acknowledge you. I feel good for doing it on many levels. The office has a nice lock-up provided. No hassles there. And part of the route IS bike friendly, just not the end part on the way home, which I have yet to figure out fully.

But I just wanted to say that I fully understand all the lobbying cyclist groups do to try to get better conditions for themselves. I mean, all the environmental groups, and even our local and provincial governments, are pushing for us to be more healthy, more green in our approach to transportation. All very well and good - but then why are there so many roadblocks for cyclists to endure and overcome in their pursuit of something good on so many levels?

Stop talking out the sides of your mouths, government officials. Give the cyclists better riding conditions. THEN maybe you WILL have more of them on the road.

Thanks for listening! Ride On!

1 comment:

Irish Red said...

While I applaud your bike riding (personally I'd take the bus!) and I feel ya with the conditions and the rudness, I implore you not to forget the rudeness of some of the cyclists out there too. You know the ones, the ones who think that they are NOT vehicular traffic and therefore stop signs do not apply to them, the one's who (now I know that this is an understandible one, but stil...) ride in the CENTRE of the lane...on Yonge Street! Holding up the cars for blocks...I know that there are potholes...I know that there are sewer grates...but PLEASE, 1) LOOK before you pull into the middle of the lane...make sure that there isn't a car pulling up on you at 60km/hr...and 2) please PLEASE move back to the kerb when you can? Don't hold the rest of us up and risk an accident....