Tuesday, April 7, 2009

There Can Be NO Debate....

None.
None at all.

Just TRY to tell me that there is a more famous band or musician, ever, than The Beatles.

Go ahead. Try.

But you'd be wrong.

Now, usually I am able to have a conversation of give and take, one where I offer my opinion, make my strongest argument, but take the feedback I am presented with and consider all the facts. If I've been particularly stubborn I might even go away and think awhile and then come back with a concession or two. Maybe even the "You were Right and I was Wrong and Now I Have to Sing a Song" song and an apology.

But not this time. Uh-unh. No way.

The Beatles are, hands down, no argument, the best and most famous band of all time.

Fact: More than 40 number one hits. That is only as the collective. That says nothing of the solo albums produced before and after the break-up of 1970. It says nothing of Wings or The Traveling Wilburys or Imagine.
Fact: 74 MILLION viewers watched them that first time they appeared on Ed Sullivan on February 9, 1964.
Fact: 6 full-length studio albums in 5 years, from 1960-1965. And 15 in the span of only 8 years. No wonder they burnt out in a decade.

There is still new merchandise produced with The Beatles likenesses, from all eras of their fabulous career. In September of this year a video game called Rock Band will be released, based on The Fab Four.

There are hundreds of video grabs posted on You Tube of them as The Beatles, of each of them separately, and of their various weavings in and out of each other's music. There are also scenes of their many films, and it appears, tons of old super 8 footage that someone has got their hands on and put up.

There are countless DVD's. They still have an active webpage and ALL 4 members have their own website in their name.

Yes, people, they are THE most famous band of all time.

But you want to know why ELSE I know this?

Because my 7 year old knows almost all of their music. Sarah knows who Richard Starkey is and that Paul McCartney is a "Sir". She knows that John Lennon and George Harrison have "perished" (her word for died), and that Paul is still handsome even though he is now a Grandpa. She knows about the 5th Beatle, even though she can't say who that is (and I don't think anyone else can either, though there is tons of debate. Was it Pete Best? Was it Phil Epstein? Was it George Martin? Is that another blog? Probably!). She knows that one of my favourite songs of all time is Eleanor Rigby, and she will not get out of bed weekday mornings before hearing "The Beatles for Breakfast" on our local Classic Rock station Q107. Which also has a "Beatles Break" which tickles Sarah no end.

And now, this same 7 year old, is doing her first school project on The Most Famous Band of All Time. And I have permitted her to say as much. Because it's a fact I believe unequivocally.

Want to argue with me about it? I could go all day?

Okay - you're entitled to your opinion. You are. But this one time, just this once, you've got to admit:

The Beatles are the best group of all time.

Okay?

5 comments:

Sonhadora said...

Ok ok I belive you!

I don't think that there is anyone in the world that doesn't know who The Beatles are.

GasbarNut said...

This is very true. The modern equivilent of that would be U2. But they aren't yet as big as the Beatles. The Beatles were something that ocurred at the beginning of "modern times". They were an actual phenomenon.

Thanks for stopping by! Always glad to have visitors! Can I make you some tea? ;-)

GasbarNut said...

In researching all of this stuff I figured out the 5th Beatle for sure!!! BILLY PRESTON!!! Yep.

Gimped said...

Hmm ... I think I have to challenge you on this one.

According to Wikipedia The Beatles had 20 #1s in the US and 17 in the UK. True, if you added up all of their #1s from all the countries you'd prolly have over 40, but that's not really accurate, is it? Most of them are duplicates. So, let's for argument sake stick with the US number of 20.

I would have to say that Elvis is the most famous musician... by far. He's JUST off the #1 hit mark @ 18 on the Billboard Pop charts (the official number is 17: Don't Be Cruel and Hound Dog are counted as 1 hit according to the Billboard charts, even tho both songs hit #1), but that doesn't include anything that topped the country, R&B or gospel charts. Mariah Carey may have beaten his "official count" but he still holds a record for the most US #1s by a male artist ... ever. Let's not forget about his other talents as well. For a number of years he was one of Hollywood’s top box office draws and one of its highest-paid actors. True, his movies were not that great, but he DID have quite an extensive movie career with 31 feature films under his belt so SOMEONE liked them. Plus numerous television appearances and specials.

Of course my opinion is biased: I was raised on Elvis! My parents would have none of that UK hippie stuff in their house :)

GasbarNut said...

I love you, I do.

But you are not most correct in this one.

It's not just about number one's, which do number more than 20, wiki be damned. It's about that intense 10 year period, 20 albums, touring, 5 movies, changing their look, nonstop, changing the face of music and bringing the UK to our doorstep.

Turns out that THEY were Elvis' biggest fans. They went to Graceland "to jam" and after so many hours of sitting politely and gawking at him, Elvis stands up and says "to hell with this, you guys can sit and stare but I am gonna play something" and he heads for his guitar. THAT started the ball rolling and they got together a second time too. He and George liked each other quite a lot.

Elvis is definitely up there. Maybe he'd be the most famous solo musician.

But I am gonna stick with the Fab 4 as being most famous rock band ever.

"All you need ---- is love."